Submissions due Oct. 17, 2014
This year's theme is "The world would be a better place if . . .".
For rules and applications, click below to go to the
Landstown MS PTSA page
Football game on Tuesday, Oct. 21
vs. Brandon MS at Tallwood HS at 5:00 p.m.
To see this week's upcoming events, go to our page at: THIS WEEK
To see all upcoming events and notices, please go to our Bulletin Board at: http://www.vbschools.com/pages/news
In the News
THIS WEEK at Landstown Middle School
To see a list of this weeks activities, go to http://www.landstownms.vbschools.com/pages/secondary/weeklyevents/index.asp
- Are you interested in becoming a global citizen?
- Are you considering a career in the medical sciences?
- Do you have an interest in the law, law-related fields, and legal and ethical issues?
- Do you have a deep interest in and talent for technology?
- Are you interested in music, dance, theatre, and/or visual arts?
- Do you have a deep commitment to academic rigor in the areas of international citizenship?
- Do you have a deep commitment to academic rigor in the areas of math or science?
Come have dinner with us and see what our High School Academies have to offer you!
Virginia Beach City Public Schools will be holding its annual High School Academies Night on Wednesday, October 22, 2014 at the Virignia Beach Convention Center. Academies Night will run from 5:00-8:30 p.m.
Landstown Middle School will be chaperoning a group of 8th graders to attend the Academy Exhibits from 5:00 to 5:45 p.m. On the day of the trip, students will meet in the cafeteria right after school for a pizza dinner and an overview of the evening. There will be a cost of $5.00. We will depart LMS at 4:30 p.m. and return at 6:15 p.m. All 8th graders are encourage to attend Academies Night with their parents, if possible. This field trip is intended for those students whose parents work schedule may not allow the opportunity to take them to the program.
Permission forms can be picked up during lunches on October 14th. Forms and money will be accepted beginning October 15th-October 20th outside the 6th grade Guidance/AP offices. The trip is limited to the first 45 students who register. Parents can contact Mrs. Scherr, 6th grade AP at 648-4797 with any questions.
*For students who would like to attend the program in its' entirety (view the exhibits and attend break out sessions with each academy), Mrs. Scherr and Mrs. Tarkenton will remain at the Convention Center after departure of the school bus. If students choose this option, their parents must pick them up from the Convention Center at 8:15 p.m. Come have dinner with us and see what our High School Academies have to offer you!
A Look at Assessment
To accurately measure student mastery of core knowledge and demonstration of 21st century skills, Virginia Beach City Public Schools (VBCPS) uses a variety of assessments including, but not limited to, performance tasks, multiple-choice tests and essays. Many of the assessments students take are required by the state and federal departments of education to measure student progress toward performance benchmarks. Local assessments (locally- and externally-developed) are used to monitor student progress, differentiate instruction, identify students for participation in specific programs and measure students' mastery of 21st century skills.
To help parents better understand the various tests students take, their purpose and why they are important, the school division has developed this informational brochure.
Reflections: "The world would be a better place if . . ."
- See http://www.vapta.org/members-only/local-unit-leaders/reflections-homepage.html for applications and rules.
- Click Here for application form
- Completed applications and submissions are due in the main office by October 17, 2014.
- Any questions contact KeKe Copeland [email protected]
- 2016-2017 Theme Search
- National PTA seeks a theme for the 2016-2017 Reflections program year.
- The student who submits the winning entry will receive $100, and his or her theme will be presented at the Annual National PTA Convention and Exhibition in Charlotte, North Carolina from June 25-28, 2015.
- Click Here for the PTA Reflections Theme Search Entry Form
- Spirit Wear is being handled by Sports Hut online at http://www.thesportshut.com/landstown/
- Four ways to order:
- Preferred Method: PTSA mailbox (Check, Cash, CC payment). Drop in the main office or send in with your child to their homeroom
- E-mail (CC payment only ): [email protected]
- Phone (CC payment only): 517.424.4888
- Mail (Check or CC payment): Sports Hut, 214 East Chicago Blvd, Tecumseh, MI 49286 ATTN: Shelly
- Membership is $6. Quarterly Student Member's only activities will be included in all student memberships.
- Thank you to all the parents and students that have already become members of our PTSA. We have many awesome activities planned this year and it is not too late to join. Please complete a membership form, staple your money to the form, and send it with your child to turn in during home room (or you can mail it directly to the school).
- Click Here for PTSA membership letter